Clear all

Expo 2020 Dubai  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS
Diem
 Diem
(@diem)
Illustrious Member

So: for most of us the carry out for XL is: Core XY, Revo nozzles and tool changing is an option...

Cheerio,

Posted : 02/10/2021 9:05 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
core xy

I do not think that they reduced the size of the XL.  I think they created another Core XY to fit this need.  I sure hope they come out with a 400mm XL.  I really need a printer of that size with Prusa reliability.  

Posted by: @vincent-2

$3K is a lot of money, but this is aimed at businesses and institutions.  I wonder if this service contract depends on the certified Prusa technician program they spoke about a little while ago?  As of right now, I have a lot of doubt Prusa will have any releases for the rest of the year.  This "farm" is partially based on the XL.  I wonder why they had to reduce the size?  The supplier issue is a big problem.

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 02/10/2021 3:07 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Core XY

I have read this blog post 4-5 times now.  I think I understand.  I think 3K is the prince for the rack and printer.  This might not be that bad of a deal.  It is expensive,  This si conjecture, but I think they had to go with a small print size because of the frame size.  Most people do not need an XL size printer and that wastes a lot of space.  Just conjecture, but to me it makes sense.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 02/10/2021 3:12 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
e3D tool chnager

Look up e3D tool changer to get an idea.  I am sure it is similar.  

Posted by: @fynmar

I am mostly hoping for a reliable way to print multiple materials. Would have really liked to see what that tool changer looks like.

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 02/10/2021 3:22 pm
Walter Witt
(@walter-witt)
Eminent Member
Linear Rails

I'm glad to at least have Linear Rails and carriages pretty much confirmed for the prusa XL. I was worried they would try to go without to keep the cost down. Now all we have to do is keep waiting till THEY FINALLY ANNOUNCE THE DAMN THING. AAAAUUUUGGGG

Posted : 02/10/2021 10:53 pm
3Delight
(@3delight)
Moderator Moderator
RE: XL Price prediction?

Hmm $3,000 per printer and these are cut down XLs!?  (No tool changers) I think that the Prusa XL is going to be very expensive and out of my (and many home users) price range.

This print farm will be great for certain Industry's and things like schools, colleges and universities I think.

Posted : 02/10/2021 11:22 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
xl vs pro

Posted by: @3delight

Hmm $3,000 per printer and these are cut down XLs!?  (No tool changers) I think that the Prusa XL is going to be very expensive and out of my (and many home users) price range.

This print farm will be great for certain Industry's and things like schools, colleges and universities I think.

I think you are missing the difference between the Prusa XL and the Prusa Pro.  The Pro, based on the anouncement, is the $3K machine and it is rack mountable and appears to be smaller but more commercial in nature.  I could be wrong, but I think the XL will still make the $1200-1700 price range but be less commerical.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 03/10/2021 12:41 am
Swiss_Cheese
(@swiss_cheese)
Noble Member

@fynmar

Buy a duel extruder printer.

@everyone else this entire thread is ridiculous, the core XY printer is sitting in front of you clearly, based on the images shown, and it will be available in the almost comical way that bobstro presented, it's historical, and another thing that's historical is the way that Makerbot went before they bailed on their community.

Good Luck, don't get your hopes up, be happy with what you have.

Swiss_Cheese 

The Filament Whisperer

Posted : 03/10/2021 3:55 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
niche

I can’t see this making the money that and XL or Mk4 would.  It is much more a niche market.

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 03/10/2021 11:51 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
A good forward-thinking move
Posted by: @cwbullet

I can’t see this making the money that and XL or Mk4 would.  It is much more a niche market.

I think it is a good step for the company. Any profit they make from a one-time sale to hobbyists has to be made on the initial sale. Ongoing support, slicer development, and all the other niceties cost the company, particularly when people buying clones add to the drag of support. Companies like Creality are happy to dump their support burden on Prusa. By offering a commerical alternative with paid support, Prusa is both offering a higher-tier of support to commerical (profit generating) customers and realizing ongoing profit with paid support. The clone companies can't parasite off of this offering. I think it's inevitable.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 03/10/2021 3:32 pm
Yveske liked
Vincent
(@vincent)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:
Not Enough Info

It's difficult to make any judgements right now.  On the surface, this doesn't look appealing from a consumer perspective.  Hopefully, more info is released in the future.  Perhaps some hands on video of the features and operation.

Posted : 03/10/2021 3:50 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
reserve

Posted by: @bobstro
Posted by: @cwbullet

I think it is a good step for the company. Any profit they make from a one-time sale to hobbyists has to be made on the initial sale. Ongoing support, slicer development, and all the other niceties cost the company, particularly when people buying clones add to the drag of support. Companies like Creality are happy to dump their support burden on Prusa. By offering a commerical alternative with paid support, Prusa is both offering a higher-tier of support to commerical (profit generating) customers and realizing ongoing profit with paid support. The clone companies can't parasite off of this offering. I think it's inevitable.

You are probably correct.  They will be able to capture both sources of profit if they continue both types of products.  The Pro product with support is a avenue for more profits.  I suspect it will not make the profit of the consumer products, but who knows.  

Posted by: @vincent-2

It's difficult to make any judgements right now.  On the surface, this doesn't look appealing from a consumer perspective.  Hopefully, more info is released in the future.  Perhaps some hands on video of the features and operation.

True.  Reserving judgement might be good advice.

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 03/10/2021 3:56 pm
gruagach
(@gruagach)
Eminent Member
Services is the way

Just look at Apple.  It’s the special sauce that lets them afford the research and development.  As others have said—this is that next level of product differentiation that the clones cannot duplicate.  Rack mounting & plug-n-play are genius.  I imagine we will see further modules for print farming:

1. sealed, humidity controlled filament cassettes

2. Enclosed, temperature controlled printer units

3. Resin printing units with auto wash, auto cure & rack storage for post processing?

Posted : 04/10/2021 3:08 am
bobstro liked
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Optimism.

Very optimistic take.  I hope you are right.  

Posted by: @gruagach

Just look at Apple.  It’s the special sauce that lets them afford the research and development.  As others have said—this is that next level of product differentiation that the clones cannot duplicate.  Rack mounting & plug-n-play are genius.  I imagine we will see further modules for print farming:

1. sealed, humidity controlled filament cassettes

2. Enclosed, temperature controlled printer units

3. Resin printing units with auto wash, auto cure & rack storage for post processing?

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 04/10/2021 9:22 am
Page 3 / 3
Share: