Do coloring additives affect filament material properties?

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
Cedric Eveleigh
(@cedric-eveleigh)

Does the addition of coloring additives affect the mechanical or other properties of filament materials? I'm particularly interested in the ASA material, and I'm deciding between natural (which presumably has no coloring additives) and black (either jet black or galaxy black). I'm more interested in strength than aesthetics, so if there is even a slight worsening of mechanical properties from the addition of black coloring additives, I would consider buying the natural filament instead of the black filament.

Posted : 06/07/2020 4:36 pm
K Koenders
(@k-koenders)
RE: Do coloring additives affect filament material properties?

For PLA and PETG i know that some filament colours need different temperatures.

White PLA prints at 210*C but black PLA prints at 220*C for the same result.

If the amount of colouring makes a differents in tempurature it wil probably make a different in strenght.

More colouring = Less strenght.

But its is a theorie and will need to be tested.

Posted : 09/07/2020 8:04 am
Clemens M.
(@clemens-m)
Noble Member

@kjj-koenders

On the other side - if you take a look @ the datasheet for the different filaments (at least those I have seen) you normally find information about the color of the filament. So I think all colors of a specific supplier and material will at least have the documented properties.

Best regards, Clemens

Mini, i3 MK2.5S, i3 MK4, CClone (Eigenbau)

Posted : 09/07/2020 11:00 am
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

Simple answer is yes.
It depends on what the material is and what has been used to give it the colour, and the proportions involved.  Not all PLA is the same as different brands use different formulations.  I have had different properties with the same brand that are different colours.  White tends to be the most different as its often a titanium oxide added to get the opaque white colour.

As with all things 3d print related its best to do some basic testing and calibration for each new filament you buy.  That way you can work out the best temperature, volumetric maximum etc and adjust your slicing profiles to match.

Posted : 09/07/2020 11:45 am
Clemens M.
(@clemens-m)
Noble Member
Posted by: @clemens-m

@kjj-koenders

On the other side - if you take a look @ the datasheet for the different filaments (at least those I have seen) you normally find NO information about the color of the filament. So I think all colors of a specific supplier and material will at least have the documented properties.

Best regards, Clemens

There was missed a little word in my posting, but edit function was already disappeared. 

Mini, i3 MK2.5S, i3 MK4, CClone (Eigenbau)

Posted : 09/07/2020 1:01 pm
Cedric Eveleigh
(@cedric-eveleigh)
Topic starter answered:

Is natural-colored ASA filament stronger than black-colored ASA filament?

Posted : 09/07/2020 6:59 pm
Share: