Notifications
Clear all

Benchy shrinking at certain layer  

RSS
Tentama
(@tentama)
Benchy shrinking at certain layer

Hello community,

Does anyone know why at this layer of benchy it shrinks a little bit? This layer seems to include cockpit of the boat. My guess is it may be related to slicer settings. This happens to most of my filament but not all, for example some silky PLA don't have them. 

Prusa i3 MK3S / Prusa Slicer / PEI sheet / Texture sheet / Satin sheet / design using Tinkercad

Posted : 15/07/2020 9:23 am
Crawlerin
(@crawlerin)
Prominent Member
RE: Benchy shrinking at certain layer

The infamous Benchy hull line?

Posted : 16/07/2020 1:30 pm
Mark B liked
Tentama
(@tentama)
Topic starter answered:

Thank you @crawlerin, so satisfying when you find the answer to things you've always wondered about. (-;

Prusa i3 MK3S / Prusa Slicer / PEI sheet / Texture sheet / Satin sheet / design using Tinkercad

Posted : 21/07/2020 9:23 am
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member

I still don't see any definite fits-all-cases reason for that line in the Benchy hull.

Back a few years ago when I took one of the intro 3d print courses at the local 'makerspace', several in the class did the Benchy, mostly on a TAZ in the lab, with a variety of filaments.  All (most) of these would have been sliced with Cura.  The line most definitely showed on a few, but not all of the prints.  I vaguely recall that PLA prints did better than ABS, and I don't remember anyone using anything but those two.

I also don't remember any Benchy prints from the higher-end Stratasys Dimension, which used a proprietary ABS filament.

I remember the instructor pointing this out and discussing it, but I don't remember any conclusion as to cause.  He did say that the Benchy was intended to be a 'torture test' and would show irregularities more than the usual everyday print.  As an aside, he did not call it Benchy, but Boaty McBoatface, after a whimsically-named US Navy boat of that era.  😉

I do know that with the Prusa, the hull line seems to be more common on ABS prints.

I've heard of slicers, infill parameters, and even fan cooling speed mentioned as culprits, but I'm not sure that anyone really knows for sure, at least as a general cause.

Posted : 21/07/2020 6:49 pm
Share: