Clear all

Steam locomotive 475.1 "Noblewoman"  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
mikimaus
(@mikimaus)
Trusted Member
Steam locomotive 475.1 "Noblewoman"

My the first 3D print of the locomotive 475.1 called "Noblewoman".

Posted : 30/01/2019 1:36 pm
mikimaus
(@mikimaus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:
Re: Steam locomotive 475.1 "Noblewoman"

next 3 photos

Posted : 30/01/2019 1:37 pm
mikimaus
(@mikimaus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

last 3

Posted : 30/01/2019 1:37 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

Most impressive? What scale is that?

I had some N gauge railroad gear as a kid, and had started collecting some Marklin Z gauge before it was stolen. I've wondered how well 3D printed parts would work. Scenery is an obvious use, but it's nice to see it works so well for actual trains and cars.

Thanks for sharing!

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 30/01/2019 2:16 pm
Gary
 Gary
(@gary)

That's great! Congratulations.

Mechanical Design since June 1973 3D Printing since November 2016 😀

Posted : 30/01/2019 2:33 pm
mikimaus
(@mikimaus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

Thank you!!! The scale is 1:25 and full length is 1 meter. This is my the second locomotive in this scale. 3D print is like a Lego, but each part in the model is designed by me :)...

Posted : 30/01/2019 2:37 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

It is stunning. Do you have any pictures showing your build process? You've printed some very delicate parts perfectly. Congratulations.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 30/01/2019 4:02 pm
mikimaus
(@mikimaus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

Yes I have. In the beginning I bought a book with drawings of the locomotive and started to redraw in the Draftsight (free alternative to Autocad). Then I imported dwg to the Sketchup and extrude faces to 3D. It takes approx 1 month in my free time. Then I finished the details and started printing. I started the project in December 2018.

Posted : 30/01/2019 4:33 pm
mikimaus
(@mikimaus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

Printing

Posted : 30/01/2019 4:33 pm
mikimaus
(@mikimaus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

you can explore the model (wip) on Sketchfab https://skfb.ly/6FRMX

Posted : 30/01/2019 4:35 pm
randolph.l
(@randolph-l)
Honorable Member

It is indeed an Awesome Print! well done on both the modeling and the printing

Posted : 30/01/2019 7:45 pm
ManelTo
(@manelto)
Estimable Member

Amazing!!!

Sorry for my poor English. I try to do my best.

Posted : 30/01/2019 8:16 pm
cdollins
(@cdollins)

I am really impressed. I am impressed that you did the engineering work in one month and using sketchup. What is the width of the thinnest part that you were able to print? What was the layer height and what slicer was use? Are you making the STL files available? I work in HO and have thought about a steam engine but I could never do it in a month. Many thanks for showing this. Do some more.

Posted : 02/02/2019 11:57 pm
mikimaus
(@mikimaus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

Thank you:). It is the most fastest way to draw technical piece in the Sketchup for me. This model is not so difficult to draw in sketchup because the most of parts are extruded from face to 3D along Z coordinate. I ussually do it when I go to work by train :)...I work in the Sketchup every day. Sketchup is good for polygonal and hard surface modeling, but I'm considering to start learn Fusion 360 or Rhinoceros due to the nurbs modeling. But I must find time for first time.
The width of the thinnest part in this model is 1mm. The clearance around the opening is 0,2mm. I print with resolution 0,2mm. The big advantage is big scale. 1mm in printed model is 25mm in real and it is possible to model the details. I use Slic3r PE and Prusa MK2S.
STL files will be avaible soon, now I print the second model and I'm tunnning the details and prepare instructions. I do it in my free time only.
(my English is not so good but I believe you understand me :)...

Posted : 05/02/2019 3:44 pm
cdollins
(@cdollins)

Doing an English engine I thought you were English. I use Inventor Pro. I do architectural models which are easier. They can be seen at charles.dollins.org/buildings/ I also have the mk2s. You say this is your second engine. Have you posted pictures of the first? I use simplify3d with a .75 nozzle so the smallest I can print is 0.5mm. So detail would be lost printing your engine in HO scale. Please keep up the very good work.

Posted : 06/02/2019 1:20 am
mikimaus
(@mikimaus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

It's one of the famoust czechoslovak steam train produced in 1947 to 1951 with Heusinger valve gear. I am czech like Josef Prusa :ugeek: :D....
I look at your architectural models and it looks great. I also have some architectural models, f. e. railway station in H0
http://www.humanart.cz/nahled.php?id=90743&bgcolor=barva_volitelna

My job is an civil engineer.

This model of engine is the first one. Now I print the second one and tune the details, verify each parts and also prepare instructions before I offer the model to download for a low price.

My nozzle is 0.4mm which was assembled in base kit.

Posted : 06/02/2019 10:42 am
Sean
 Sean
(@sean-7)
Trusted Member

What filament did you use? Is that the Prusament Galaxy Black stuff? It looks really nice!

Posted : 23/02/2019 7:53 pm
mark.s83
(@mark-s83)

Seeing your print makes me know your are probably also an excellent Civil Engineer. Wish you worked for me.

Posted : 24/02/2019 5:29 pm
mikimaus
(@mikimaus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

2 sean.r7: yes you right! prusament pla galaxy black 🙂

Posted : 25/02/2019 3:20 pm
mikimaus
(@mikimaus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

2 mark.s83: thank you! sometimes i think Iam better 3D printer and 3D designer than civil engineer :D...

Posted : 25/02/2019 3:33 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: