Skidster  

Page 4 / 4
  RSS
Skipper_52
(@skipper_52)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:
RE: Skidster

I hate when you overthink something. Instead of printing gears for the gearboxes I can now go with timing belts and pulleys. Don;t know why I didn't see that before. Ordered.

Posted : 09/01/2021 11:27 am
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member
Posted by: @skipper_52

I hate when you overthink something. Instead of printing gears for the gearboxes I can now go with timing belts and pulleys. Don;t know why I didn't see that before. Ordered.

Gears R Cool!!  😉

I've used 3d printed gears in a few projects, although none of them have been load-bearing to any significant degree.

Of course if belts are a better solution for the problem, then go with the belts.

I would recommend that anyone who has not done so take one of those 3d design classes or do one of the tutorials on drafting and placing gears.  There are now all kinds of gear-maker 'cheats' so you don't need to do any tedious drafting.  You can certainly make any of several desk widgets to keep others amused.  😉

Posted : 09/01/2021 12:36 pm
Skipper_52
(@skipper_52)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

When you start to understand pitch circles etc. it helps. Make placement of gear centers easy. If I would have stayed with gears they would have been close to yours in size. I ended up doing a 12 pinion to 15 spur translates to .8 or 80 rpms from an 100 rpm geared motor. The tire circumference is about 18" so... about 125 fpm which nowadays is a brisk walk for this old fart. 

Posted : 11/01/2021 1:53 am
Skipper_52
(@skipper_52)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

@jsw

Your gear train is fun to look at but there is no reduction other than the 2 end gears. So either 20:12 or 12:20 depending on which end you spin. You can have a million gears in a row like yours and the only determining gears are the 2 end ones.

Posted : 11/01/2021 1:56 am
Skipper_52
(@skipper_52)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

Still waiting on parts. Will post when I can.

Posted : 17/01/2021 7:03 pm
Skipper_52
(@skipper_52)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

Some of the parts came in. Gear train is from ServoCity and one of the hubs of the spur bevel gear was machined wrong and I got a 1/16 wobble. They're sending a replacement. Belts won't be in until next week. 1600 oz.in. torque per motor. Shouldn't have anymore problems.

Posted : 21/01/2021 12:41 am
jsw liked
Skipper_52
(@skipper_52)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

All right... parts are coming tomorrow. (belts and timing pulleys). Will have it running this weekend.

Posted : 29/01/2021 6:58 pm
Skipper_52
(@skipper_52)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

Not changing the subject but needed something else to work on until parts came in. Made this little carbide tool holder for my lathe bits.

Posted : 29/01/2021 7:41 pm
Skipper_52
(@skipper_52)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

No parts, just a catalog..damn it.

Posted : 31/01/2021 5:20 am
Skipper_52
(@skipper_52)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

Parts are in, assembling today. Too cold to play outside.

Posted : 07/02/2021 9:22 pm
aaronzachariah
(@aaronzachariah)
RE:

Those Harbor Models smoke generators sound impressive! It's awesome that you can control the voltage for a lot of smoke. Speaking of generators, I recently got a Kohler 20kw for my home, and it's been a lifesaver during power outages. Have you ever considered trying out different scents for your Mega-Smoke, like diesel or steam? That could add an interesting twist to your ships' ambiance!

This post was modified 5 months ago by aaronzachariah
Posted : 18/10/2023 3:02 pm
Page 4 / 4
Share: