Notifications
Clear all

New user but having a ball  

RSS
Skipper_52
(@skipper_52)
Trusted Member
New user but having a ball

I bought the Prusa mainly to print items I could not make on my cnc. I'm trying to finish my wife's dollhouse so I designed and printed this rotary axis for the cnc so I can turn miniature bed posts. The couches were 3d models I designed and printed with PLA then covered with a flocking material. The rotary attachment uses a 12v dc heater motor for a car with a 12v power supply and adjustable speed controller. All of the gray parts and the black index wheel were printed on the Prusa. Learned real quick about changing the vertical wall thickness so I could tap the housings for 1/4-20 bolts. Standard setting of 2 is way too thin and you can strip out the print. These tapped holes had a vertical thickness of 6

This topic was modified 5 years ago by Skipper_52
Posted : 11/05/2019 4:46 am
Peter M
(@peter-m)
Noble Member
RE: New user but having a ball

And what is the question?

Posted : 30/06/2019 3:59 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: gregg.z

I bought the Prusa mainly to print items I could not make on my cnc. I'm trying to finish my wife's dollhouse so I designed and printed this rotary axis for the cnc so I can turn miniature bed posts. The couches were 3d models I designed and printed with PLA then covered with a flocking material. 

Nicely done, Gregg. Will you be releasing the STLs for those parts? I like the way you're using 3D printing as a tool to support other hobbies rather than just producing plastic bits as the end product. Thanks for sharing your tips on threading parts for assembly. This is great stuff for the Hall of Fame.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 30/06/2019 6:47 pm
Texy
 Texy
(@texy)
Reputable Member
Posted by: peter.m26

And what is the question?

Why should there be a question? OP has posted int he Awesome Prints forum. He doesn't need help;

Posted : 03/07/2019 2:41 pm
Skipper_52
(@skipper_52)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

The only issue I've had with the printer is not having the nozzle tight against the "threaded feeder tube" . They both thread into the aluminum block that holds the heater element. There must have been a gap between them and the aluminum block probably expands from the heat and filament was able to ooze out of the top of the aluminum block. Finally figured out that when replacing the block or nozzle, initially set it with the nozzle tight then tighten it onto the threaded tube. The back off the nozzle 1 turn and tighten the aluminum block onto the extruder tube until tight again. Tighten the nozzle and no more leaks. 

I will be happy to release stl files to those who want them.

Posted : 03/07/2019 6:00 pm
Dave Avery
(@dave-avery)
Honorable Member

and only tighten or loosen the nozzle with the blocked heated up to around 280C

Posted : 03/07/2019 6:11 pm
BillC
(@billc)
Reputable Member

Finally figured out that when replacing the block or nozzle, initially set it with the nozzle tight then tighten it onto the threaded tube. The back off the nozzle 1 turn and tighten the aluminum block onto the extruder tube until tight again. Tighten the nozzle and no more leaks. 

That is not quite correct. The published process for inserting a new nozzle advises to back off the nozzle 1/4 to 1/2 a turn from fully installed then hand tighten the heatbreak against that, before tightening the nozzle against the heatbreak while hot. A full turn will place the heatbreak too low in the heater block and invite problems.

https://wiki.e3d-online.com/E3D-v6_Assembly

Bill
Tagaytay City, Philippines
Founder member of Philippines Prusa Printer Owners FB Group
Sponsor Pillars of God Academy in Bacoor

Posted : 05/07/2019 4:05 am
SteveEJ
(@steveej)

I am interested in the STL files. I have a mini CNC with a spindle and a laser. It would be nice to experiment with both. Thx

Posted : 05/07/2019 6:57 pm
Skipper_52
(@skipper_52)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

You'll have to convert the stl to cad to alter the hole for the motor. You want the stl or cad?

Posted : 05/07/2019 7:43 pm
SteveEJ
(@steveej)

Since I am not sure what motor I will use could I get both? What cad software was used? I have a very old version of TurboCad somewhere. LOL

Posted : 05/07/2019 9:45 pm
Skipper_52
(@skipper_52)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

Autocad 2016

Posted : 08/07/2019 1:04 pm
SteveEJ
(@steveej)

STL's will be good. Thx. email to: [email protected] if you don't mind.

Sorry I have not been timely. A death in the family and virtually every major appliance I own breaking down recently. This week my home A/C unit.

Grrr...

Posted : 08/07/2019 1:51 pm
TheSameNameTwice
(@thesamenametwice)

I bought the Prusa mainly to print items I could not make on my cnc. I'm trying to finish my wife's dollhouse so I designed and printed this rotary axis for the cnc so I can turn miniature bed posts.

I used this tactic to convince my wife I needed more power tools. She asked me to build something for her last month, and I explained why I would need a bandsaw. The project turned out great and I now have a bandsaw in the shop 😀 

Posted : 11/09/2019 1:39 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: TheSameNameTwice

I used this tactic to convince my wife I needed more power tools. She asked me to build something for her last month, and I explained why I would need a bandsaw. The project turned out great and I now have a bandsaw in the shop 😀 

Until she catches on and starts asking for jewelry...

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 11/09/2019 6:01 pm
Sembazuru
(@sembazuru)
Prominent Member
Posted by: bobstro

Until she catches on and starts asking for jewelry...

So that just means that she gives him the excuse reason to buy the jewelers tools. I recently watched a ring making video (one of JerryRigEverything's recent vids) and the jeweler's lathe the guy used was just so cute. (I also saw some cute little hammers and saws when taking a tour of a maker space's jewelers shop.)

See my (limited) designs on:
Printables - https://www.printables.com/@Sembazuru
Thingiverse - https://www.thingiverse.com/Sembazuru/designs

Posted : 11/09/2019 9:41 pm
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member

I have two Boley's (they are cute), and my watchmaker tools are invaluable on the Prusa.

Jeweler nips clip that filament like no one's business! Some of us just love tools...

Posted : 11/09/2019 9:44 pm
Lee Griffith
(@lee-griffith)

I bought the Prusa mainly to print items I could not make on my cnc. I'm trying to finish my wife's dollhouse so I designed and printed this rotary axis for the cnc so I can turn miniature bed posts.

I have a similar deal with my wife & in-laws.  Whenever I do a project for them I get paid with a new power tool.  However, I happily paid for my MK3S out of my pocket.

Posted : 11/09/2019 11:15 pm
Wes
 Wes
(@wes)

Beautiful work Gregg; also very intelligent use of skills and tools.  A fine gift for a meaningful, lasting purpose.  

Posted : 26/09/2019 1:46 pm
Share: