Clear all

3D Printed Dining Room Light  

RSS
Durahl
(@durahl)
Estimable Member
3D Printed Dining Room Light

Greetings!

A while ago I started working on a 3D Printed Light for my Dining Room and while the initial design was supposed to have the lamp made out of a log of wood with CNCed holes and channels for the Bulbs, Wires and Smart Lighting Controller I decided to first, and maybe permanently, have a 3D Printed version.

Not shown in this picture is the ceiling mount that will be rotated 90° thus forming a cross when viewed from the bottom/top - This was necessary due to the Electrical Wires offset from the Table centre - I took that as an artistic opportunity 😁

Finished first Section practically filling out the entire build volume - A feat I never thought I'd come across from one of my models:

Unfortunately, the tips at the top turned out glossy so using the part unpainted as is will be a no-go - Slight Bummer.

200mm Osram LED Bulb installed ( into a Ceramic Lamp Socket attached to the 3D Print via embedded M4 Nuts )

Posted : 25/11/2020 11:56 pm
Evavoo, jsw, Calire and 1 people liked
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
RE: 3D Printed Dining Room Light

I like it!

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 26/11/2020 1:04 am
Oxygen
(@oxygen)
Reputable Member

looks really cool -- please share a picture of the completed product

Mini with FW:4.4.1 + SuperPINDA + Bondtech Heatbreak + PC4-M8 couplers + 1 piece boden

Posted : 26/11/2020 7:02 am
Durahl
(@durahl)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

I will certainly keep you guys updated though that may be taking some time as I can, at most, 3D Print two pieces a day and I've yet to finish the design for the Ceiling Mount - Technically Identical in shape ( minus the cut-outs for the Lightbulbs ) - but with only a height of 60mm instead of the Lamps 201mm.

Posted : 26/11/2020 12:37 pm
Gonper liked
Durahl
(@durahl)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

A few more Sections into the Lamp:

Screwing the M4 Nuts onto the M4 Threaded Rods I'm using as Rebar to securely hold everything together was a Royal P.i.t.A.

OBVIOUSLY, the kink at the end of the Prusament Filament, used to hold it in place when winding it onto the Spool, HAD to get caught at the entrance of the PTFE tubing and thus preventing the Filament from progressing causing the Extruder to print in thin air - In the last 15min of the 6.5h print of the second Endpiece ( which can be seen in the background against the green wall with its tips missing 😑 )

I'm gonna have to invest some time into 3D Printing a gradually thinning down funnel I can put before the PTFE Tubing to straighten those kinks out just enough for them to not cause the Filament to get stuck again...

Posted : 28/11/2020 8:17 pm
jsw and Gonper liked
Gonper
(@gonper)
Eminent Member

This is looking great, nice and simple design. I believe its going to look stunning when hanged.

Posted : 28/11/2020 9:01 pm
Durahl
(@durahl)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

So, with nothing else to do but wait for the second to last section of the of the main part to finish 3D Printing I went ahead and had my go at the ceiling portion and how to attach it to the ceiling.

For now, I've decided to go with a mix between a slot design using two bolts preinstalled into the ceiling and magnets.
The bolts will slide into slots with the bolt heads carrying the weight and the embedded magnets will cling to the bolt shafts preventing them from sliding out again in case of something like an earthquake. This will allow me to mount it flush to the ceiling and without visible fasteners.

The above render also somewhat explains the issue with the 220V cables exiting the ceiling off-center to the dining table by about 450mm - Thus the odd design choice with the ceiling portion at a 90° offset to the main portion.

Posted : 28/11/2020 11:47 pm
jsw and Gonper liked
Durahl
(@durahl)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

The deed is done 😂

Mostly - Still have to hook it up to electricity but for that I'll have to open the old light switch box that used to control the ceiling but right now I'm too tired to deal with 230V 😑

Different angle

Tomorrow I'll hopefully be able to get the electricity sorted out and have it do a quick light up to decide if sanding and laminating the lamp can be avoided while the lamps is on.

Posted : 02/12/2020 9:04 pm
Gordon W, Gonper, Calire and 2 people liked
Extra Fox
(@extra-fox)
Estimable Member

That's a very cool design. Looking forward to seeing it lit up.

Aaron

Posted : 02/12/2020 11:33 pm
Gonper
(@gonper)
Eminent Member

Whoooala, looks like a $5K top notch posh lamp design. Congratulations.

Posted : 03/12/2020 8:02 am
Durahl
(@durahl)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

All right... I'm done and spent 🥱

@ 30%

@ 70% ( or anything above as the intensity appears not to change ).

Looks brighter on the Photo than it is in reality!

Strangely enough it looks like the, supposedly not dimmable Light, are indeed dimmable - I'm not even mad 🤩

My biggest fear though came true... Due to the position of the lamps in relation to the sides of the lamp they're now showing literally every friggin' layer line on them making it basically a necessity to work that surface with some sandpaper to equalize the worst offenders followed by laminating the whole thing for a uniform finish - /sigh.

Posted : 03/12/2020 4:59 pm
hawai
(@hawai)
Reputable Member

Congratulations!

A very clear and bold design, well executed and working really well in that space.

Posted : 20/01/2021 8:16 pm
Evavoo
(@evavoo)

Oooh this looks really nice.

Posted : 08/04/2021 1:36 pm
Share: