Printing Face Masks in Southern California on MKS3 in PLA, need to printer faster

Notifications
Clear all

Printing Face Masks in Southern California on MKS3 in PLA, need to printer faster  

RSS
Bob
 Bob
(@bob-8)

I have been printing the Prusa face shields for two weeks around the clock and sending to Operation Shields UP to be distributed. The 3MF file for 4 at a time has been great and prints much faster than the standard profile. I am now printing face masks in PLA which can be viewed on the website https://makethemasks.com. They are in PLA to enable the user to form to the face by soaking in hot water. My problem is with how long it takes to print each one using the standard profile. To best support the community with these masks, I am asking an expert to provide me with the best recommended settings to maximize print speed while still maintaining a quality print. I am using an MK3S and Inland PLA+.  The STL files I am printing are located at https://www.makethemasks.com/3d-printing. I am printing with 20% infill, no supports and no brim. If someone can help me with this, it could help me get more masks to hospitals. Thank you in advance for your support.

Posted : 04/04/2020 8:40 pm
MattJMurphy
(@mattjmurphy)
RE: Printing Face Masks in Southern California on MKS3 in PLA, need to printer faster

What sort of time are you getting right now per shield?

Edit: I didn't realize you were printing face masks now, I've no experience with that side of things at this time.

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by MattJMurphy
Posted : 05/04/2020 12:06 am
Bob
 Bob
(@bob-8)
Topic starter answered:
RE: Printing Face Masks in Southern California on MKS3 in PLA, need to printer faster

@mjm

5 hours for each mask. 

This post was modified 4 years ago by Bob
Posted : 05/04/2020 12:48 am
MattJMurphy
(@mattjmurphy)

@venmo-l

I'm certainly no expert but that seems like there's a lot of room for improvement. What settings are you currently using? Layer height etc.. I'm not seeing any recommendations as far as settings on that website, could you link me to them directly?

Posted : 05/04/2020 1:13 am
Bob
 Bob
(@bob-8)
Topic starter answered:

@mjm

.2 mm later height, 20% infill, no brim, no support, generic PLA profile and 100% speed. 

Posted : 05/04/2020 1:53 am
digbat
(@digbat)
Eminent Member

venmo-l, only an idea but: I print 2 Prusa RC2 in 3:57 using a 0.6 nozzle (faster and possibly stronger). My community project for ICU supply want PETG so that is what I use, but I have also made these in PLA - same time to print give or take a minute. The Brazil remix prints faster but it may not be validated for your project.

Cheers

Digbat

TANSTAAFL

Posted : 05/04/2020 7:24 am
Zoltan
(@zoltan)
Member Moderator

Did not try to use the Prusa covid set up used for PETG and only adjusting the filament set up accordingly for PLA temperatues?

But keep in mind there it is a fast printing so I would not use standard PLA temperature (215°C) but arround 220 - 225°C in order to melt down the fillament.

even an old man can learn new things 🙂
Standard I3 mk3s, MMU2S, Prusa Enclosure, Fusion 360, PrusaSlicer, Windows 10
PRUSA MINI+ Prusalink + Prusa Connect

Posted : 05/04/2020 8:27 am
Bob
 Bob
(@bob-8)
Topic starter answered:

Thank you all.  Neil-T provided me with a 3mf that cut the print time in half.  At this time I will continue to use that profile.  When I have time, I will also try Zoltan's suggestion above.   FYI, Stephan from CNC kitchen also just posted a video with tips on decreasing print times through tuning. 

Posted : 05/04/2020 1:08 pm
Share: