Under-Extrusion/Inverse Elephant's Foot on First Layers

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Under-Extrusion/Inverse Elephant's Foot on First Layers  

RSS
CHRS000042
(@chrs000042)
Under-Extrusion/Inverse Elephant's Foot on First Layers

I've recently built, tested, and upgraded my Prusa Mini, but I'm having a strange problem with under-extrusion/inverse elephant's foot on several pieces, most notably on the Print-In-Place V3 Engine Benchmark by Turbo Sunshine( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4575774 ). 

Here are some pictures of the problem. Picture 1 is a section of the engine, the top is the first layer, which is also the smallest. According to my slicer, all of that piece should be the same width. The second is the print when the print failed, approx. three minutes into the print. The third is two benchies for comparison. The silver is made from the packaged gcode and PLA filament that come with the Mini, and the green one is made with my prusaSlicer settings with GTS3D's PLA+ filament.

The printer itself has had some upgrades, specifically a Bondtech filament extruder, and a Slice Engineering Mosquito Hotend. Both upgrades I should have accounted for by adding the appropriate start gcode modifications. All prints made on the smooth steel sheet.

As for what I've tried already, I found this thread (Link) on the MK3 & MKS3 section of the forum, and followed the steps given. First Layer to 200% (related to surface area), First Layer Height to 0.35mm. This seemed to have no affect other than it seems that it created a more 'concave' effect where the first layer juts out, but the subsequent layers do what they were before. Also slowed external perimeter and first layer print speeds to 20 mm/s, lowered the temperature of non-first layer extrusion to 205 C, and increased retraction length by 0.1 mm, to 3.3 mm. Everything else is factory settings.

I've printed other parts, including some test pieces for a storage rack for some metric wrenches, and they don't appear to have this problem.

These might not be the best photos of the problem, bu they are the ones I had before deciding to post to the forums. I'll print off another failure if a better look is needed. Thank you!

Best Answer by CHRS000042:

Nevermind... I was being stupid and only observed the part from one angle... Most of this part is curved. Which means I do not have this problem, but a bed adhesion problem. I've already been looking at a few threads to fix this problem as old as 3D printing. Wish me luck!

Posted : 22/09/2020 7:23 pm
CHRS000042
(@chrs000042)
Topic starter answered:
RE: Under-Extrusion/Inverse Elephant's Foot on First Layers

Nevermind... I was being stupid and only observed the part from one angle... Most of this part is curved. Which means I do not have this problem, but a bed adhesion problem. I've already been looking at a few threads to fix this problem as old as 3D printing. Wish me luck!

Posted : 23/09/2020 2:23 am
Share: