Notifications
Clear all

My 2nd Prusa Mini does not print as good as my first  

RSS
Youngatheart2001
(@youngatheart2001)
Eminent Member
My 2nd Prusa Mini does not print as good as my first

Really struggling with our 2nd Prusa Mini we just got. Getting really bad first layer adhesion and lower print quality all the way around than our other prusa. Using exact same Gcode and filament.

We have another half a dozen of these on order. Hope something hasn't changed with these things.

For those that have an older Mini (six months old or so) and gotten a new one, anything I should be aware of that maybe will require different slicer settings? Bed temp, heat? I know the sensor for bed leveling is different. Could that play into it?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted : 23/02/2021 4:22 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
RE: My 2nd Prusa Mini does not print as good as my first

There is some variation in print quality from prinetr to printer.

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 23/02/2021 4:55 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @youngatheart2001

Really struggling with our 2nd Prusa Mini we just got. Getting really bad first layer adhesion and lower print quality all the way around than our other prusa. Using exact same Gcode and filament.

Look for things that are unique with the physical printer. Live-Z adjustment and bed adhesion are common sources of problems that will be unique to each printer. Can you provide pics of the print quality and your 1st layer results (print underside)?

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 23/02/2021 4:57 pm
Youngatheart2001
(@youngatheart2001)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

I think I may have figured out what is going on. For whatever reason, I need to be hotter with my new printer for similar results. Printing a test piece right now. Will report back later on this.

Posted : 23/02/2021 6:24 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

Is the second mini a Mini+?  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 23/02/2021 6:25 pm
Youngatheart2001
(@youngatheart2001)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@cwbullet

yes. my first was just a standard mini.

Posted : 23/02/2021 7:26 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @youngatheart2001

I think I may have figured out what is going on. For whatever reason, I need to be hotter with my new printer for similar results. Printing a test piece right now. Will report back later on this.

Can you do a PID tune on the Mini? That can help with temperature consistency.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 23/02/2021 7:34 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@youngatheart2001

I would say that is part of the problem.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 23/02/2021 7:37 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@bobstro

I am not sure.  

If someone wants to look:

https://help.prusa3d.com/en/article/pid-tuning_2265

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 23/02/2021 7:39 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@bobstro

@cwbullet

Only the nozzle pidtuning currently works on the Mini. I have tested this and the impression that optimization attempts bring no change regarding temperature stability.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 23/02/2021 7:59 pm
3DK
 3DK
(@3dk)
Eminent Member

I had problems once, developing after a period of stability. A very helpful Prusa support person advised increasing the nozzle temperature a fair bit. This immediately gave better results. Eventually I found that the real problem was a blockage in the hot end that several cold pulls failed to clear. It was really difficult to see the blockage, which I cleared with a needle and much patience, but once cleared the Mini returned to printing well at regular temperatures. 

Posted : 23/02/2021 10:25 pm
Youngatheart2001
(@youngatheart2001)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Okay reporting back. Here is the deal. Same gcode, same filament, same basement doing the printing. So you would think both Prusa Mini's would behave the same. In the end in, in order to get this filament to have a nice first layer, I had to increase both the bed and nozzle temp by 5 degrees. That slight change made a world of difference in the quality of the first several layers as well as the quality of the piece in general. So lesson learned 🙂 Thanks for your input/ideas folks!  Dave.

Posted : 24/02/2021 2:28 am
Share: