Notifications
Clear all

Hum sound when 3D printing ovals/circles  

RSS
PrusaTester2020
(@prusatester2020)
Estimable Member
Hum sound when 3D printing ovals/circles

I have a brand new mini and a strange low frequency sounds/noises (they are 2(two) similar sounds) are heard when 3D printing ovals/circles. They could be easily heard in the attached video. Is this normal and what causes them?

<video width="1920" height="1080" controls="controls">
<source src="https://forum.prusa3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/PrusaMiniHumSound.mp4" type="video/mp4" />
</video>

This topic was modified 4 years ago 3 times by PrusaTester2020
Posted : 02/09/2020 7:18 am
Clemens M.
(@clemens-m)
Noble Member
RE: Hum sound when 3D printing ovals/circles

I can´t play your file - you have to add it into your post using the button "Add Media".

But I think you hear the two stepper motors (x and y axis) which accelerate /deaccelerate and they do this timeshifted, because you print a circle or something curved - and that is normal.

Best regards, Clemens

Mini, i3 MK2.5S, i3 MK4, CClone (Eigenbau)

Posted : 02/09/2020 11:06 am
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member

I do not have the mini, but sounds, sometimes almost musical, are common when doing circles or arcs on 3d printers.

Posted : 02/09/2020 11:08 am
Clemens M.
(@clemens-m)
Noble Member

@jsw

How could you play the attached video? Please let me know.

Best regards, Clemens

Posted : 02/09/2020 11:11 am
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member

I did not play the video.  The html in the message appears invalid on my machine.  My answer was from general experience.

Posted : 02/09/2020 11:13 am
Clemens M.
(@clemens-m)
Noble Member

So same way as I did. Because to me the link is broken.

Thanks, best regards, Clemens

Posted : 02/09/2020 11:21 am
PrusaTester2020
(@prusatester2020)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

I asked the moderator to fix it and did it by adding a media, editied it a few times to fix it but...

Here is it again as a LINK:  PrusaMiniHumSound.mp4

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by PrusaTester2020
Posted : 02/09/2020 11:45 am
Oxygen
(@oxygen)
Reputable Member

put the printer on a solid place (concrete floor) or place the printer on a pavement tile (paver) it sounds like the resonance from the stepper motors onto the wooden desk... (and the paver or ceramic tile will fix that)

Mini with FW:4.4.1 + SuperPINDA + Bondtech Heatbreak + PC4-M8 couplers + 1 piece boden

Posted : 02/09/2020 1:25 pm
Nick
 Nick
(@nick-17)
Let's see if we can solve the problem:
1 Lubricate all non-threaded shafts with prusa grease ... some used silicone grease.
2 place the printer on an absorbent surface, the one used for washing machines, which is found in all large hardware stores.
Underneath put a rigid surface, I have put a terracotta plate and underneath put the 4 absorbent feet that you can download from the site   https://www.prusaprinters.org/it/prints/38506-prusa-mini-silencerdampener.  
3 reduce the speed, that of prusaslicer is too aggressive for me. I have reduced to 40 mm / s
and displacement at 120 mm / s
printing times are extended by a little but everything runs smoothly on the oil. Try and let me know.
Posted : 04/09/2020 8:41 am
Share: