Heavy stringing after 3 hours of printing ruined the print - please help
After a number of successful first prints I got into trouble printing this fancy skeleton. I used PLA. It printed fine for the first layer however in the end it became very ugly (printing feet resp. toes for example), see attached pictures. What would you suggest to improve the print? Thank you for you support!
If you've printed with that same filament, it's possible it has absorbed moisture. PLA is less susceptible to this than other types, but given humid weather, it can happen. Easiest would be to try another spool. If that helps, dry the first spool. I've got a spool of Paramount PLA that is starting to do this.
Other than that, summarize your settings. What temps are you using? PLA will usually print well at 190C.
Thanks... the whole print was using the same spool from the beginning, however I never had any issues before with this spool and I was literally printing the whole day.
Some Settings taken from Prusa Slicer (used all defaults for "Generic PLA"): 15% infill; First layer @ 215° extruder, other layers 210 °C; bed temp always 60°C.
Maybe these are just too many thin strings finally messing up? I thing I will try the string and tower tests, maybe these will give insights.
Try to increase retraction, retractionspeed and possibly also the speed of the nozzle fan.
[...] Thanks... the whole print was using the same spool from the beginning, however I never had any issues before with this spool and I was literally printing the whole day.
Sounds like it was working fine at one point, so if you haven't changed any settings, I'd look for environmental changes. Do a small string test print. If the spool was OK but you suddenly can't get good prints, either try another spool or dry that one out.
I had one spool that went from this:
within 2 days. I dried it out and it returned to this:
In any case, drying won't hurt anything and you'll have eliminated one consideration.