Notifications
Clear all

Filament not sticking to heatbed  

RSS
Mike Mick
(@mike-mick)
Filament not sticking to heatbed

Hey there,

Just got my Mini assembled today, and after a small issue with the Y-axis pulley needing to be tightened, I'm so excited!  However, now I seem to be stuck.  When attempting the first layer calibration, I can't seem to get the filament to stick to my sheet.  I followed the instructions and wiped it down with the iso sheet and no luck.  Tried again, no luck.  Figured dawn dish soap might get any residue that could be causing issues off, still no luck.  Another round of iso, nope.  Found the threads on Z my way, but my printer can't seem to print the outline of the box as a square, inevitably what happens is it 'slips' when it goes to do a 90 degree corner.  I'm using Prusa PLA, Galaxy Silver if it makes any difference.  I believe the settings for printing are 215 extruder, and 60 for heatbed.  Any thoughts on what to try? 

Posted : 26/04/2020 10:34 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member
RE: Filament not sticking to heatbed
Posted by: @mixster

Hey there,

Just got my Mini assembled today, and after a small issue with the Y-axis pulley needing to be tightened, I'm so excited!  However, now I seem to be stuck.  When attempting the first layer calibration, I can't seem to get the filament to stick to my sheet.  I followed the instructions and wiped it down with the iso sheet and no luck.  Tried again, no luck.  Figured dawn dish soap might get any residue that could be causing issues off, still no luck.  Another round of iso, nope.  Found the threads on Z my way, but my printer can't seem to print the outline of the box as a square, inevitably what happens is it 'slips' when it goes to do a 90 degree corner.  I'm using Prusa PLA, Galaxy Silver if it makes any difference.  I believe the settings for printing are 215 extruder, and 60 for heatbed.  Any thoughts on what to try? 

I think your bed is not plane and you have to get closer to the bed with the first layer. The original prusa profile for PLA should work (215/60 is ok). Also very important is the cleaning with dishsoap and water. The foiled PEI sheet should perfect work with PLA.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 26/04/2020 10:52 pm
Mike Mick
(@mike-mick)
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @karl-herbert

I think your bed is not plane and you have to get closer to the bed with the first layer. The original prusa profile for PLA should work (215/60 is ok). Also very important is the cleaning with dishsoap and water. The foiled PEI sheet should perfect work with PLA.

Thanks for quick response!  When you say the bed is not plane, I assume you mean completely horizontal and not warped, correct?  If that's the case, does the 16 point check at the beginning compensate for that or no?  I'm using the PEI sheet that came with the mini, just haven't had a lot of luck getting it to stick.  Now, I realize each machine may be different, but what range should I be looking at for the Z-axis adjustment?  I saw another post where someone indicated 750 worked for them.  I assume this means -0.750 on the Z adjust?  Right now I'm running it at -0.400 and it's definitely not looking like a solid flat surface (even one one layer thick).  From here should I be adjusting the numbers closer to zero (such as -0.350) or more negative (-0.500 direction)?  So frustrating!  But getting better I think...

Posted : 27/04/2020 12:17 am
herbert
(@herbert)
Estimable Member

Hi,

if you go away from zero, higher minus value, the nozzle moves closer to the bed. My value is around -0.780, so no worries.

Also watch this video ( ) and read some of this

http://projects.ttlexceeded.com/3dprinting_live_z_calibration.html

https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/original-prusa-i3-mk3s-mk3-assembly-and-first-prints-troubleshooting/life-adjust-z-my-way/

and the gcode for the mini can be found on this post

https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/original-prusa-i3-mk3s-mk3-assembly-and-first-prints-troubleshooting/life-adjust-z-my-way/paged/35/#post-210516

Posted : 27/04/2020 6:32 am
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@mixster

Yes, completely horizontal and not warped. the Firmware can only compensate a small range of warping (i think about 0.1mm). Each machine is different. If you Z value is adjusted to -0.400, maybe it will work with -0.450 or -0.500. The higher the minus value the closer you are to the bed. Another machine maybe work correct with a value about -0.850 or -1.100. This depends on the sensor adjustment:

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 27/04/2020 8:57 am
herbert liked
Share: